Benjamin Moore offers hundreds of gorgeous gray paint colors to suit any design style. Two of their most popular are Dove Wing OC-18 and Seapearl OC-19. At first glance, these two light grays can look quite similar. But upon closer inspection, there are noticeable differences in undertones and aesthetics.
In this article, we’ll do a deep dive comparing Benjamin Moore Dove Wing vs Seapearl. We’ll analyze undertones, light reflectance values, real-world photos, and ideal room applications. By the end, you’ll understand how these two grays compare and which Benjamin Moore light gray is the best choice for your home.
Table of Contents
Key Differences Between Dove Wing and Seapearl
Before examining the details, here is a brief overview of how Dove Wing and Seapearl differ:
- Undertones: Dove Wing is a cool gray, Seapearl has greige (gray-beige) undertones.
- LRV: Dove Wing has an LRV of 77.52, Seapearl is a bit darker at 76.43 LRV.
- Use: Dove Wing shines as trim/exterior color, Seapearl works better in living spaces.
- Rooms: Dove Wing suits kitchens and bathrooms, Seapearl excels in bedrooms and offices.
Now let’s explore Dove Wing vs Seapearl in more depth!
Benjamin Moore Dove Wing OC-18
Dove Wing OC-18 is a gorgeous light gray paint color with cool undertones. It has a clean, bright appearance that works beautifully in a variety of settings.
Here are some key details about Dove Wing:
- LRV: 77.52
- Undertones: Cool grays
- Sheen: Available in all finishes
- Rooms: Exteriors, kitchens, baths, office
- Pairs With: Whites, blues, grays
Dove Wing is a very pale gray with distinct cool undertones. Unlike some harsh-looking cool grays, it maintains a welcoming and tranquil appearance.
The subtle coolness gives Dove Wing a crisp, clean look. This makes it an ideal choice for trim, doors, cabinetry, and other accent areas. It provides definition without stark contrast.
With a 77.52 LRV, Dove Wing reflects a good amount of light. This prevents it from reading as dark or dreary. The soft pale gray color feels uplifting.
This welcoming light gray plays nicely with a variety of color schemes. Especially pleasing combinations include:
- Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace
- Benjamin Moore Hale Navy
- Benjamin Moore Gray Owl
- Benjamin Moore Oxford White
Dove Wing’s versatility makes it suitable for nearly any room. But it really excels when used in:
- Exterior siding
- Laundry rooms
Benjamin Moore Seapearl OC-19
Seapearl OC-19 is a gorgeous greige (gray-beige) paint color with warm sophistication. Its understated neutrality has broad appeal.
Here are some key details about Seapearl:
- LRV: 76.43
- Undertones: Greige
- Sheen: Available in all paint finishes
- Rooms: Bedrooms, living rooms, dining rooms
- Pairs With: Beiges, browns, blues
Seapearl is a pale gray with distinct beige-brown undertones. Unlike some greiges that feel muddy, Seapearl maintains an open and airy quality.
The warm greige undertone gives Seapearl a welcoming, approachable feel. It provides refined neutrality without feeling stark or cold.
With a 76.43 LRV, Seapearl reflects sufficient light for most spaces. The soft beige influence prevents it from reading as a dark gray. It feels bright and uplifting.
Some popular color combinations with Seapearl include:
- Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee
- Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter
- Benjamin Moore October Mist
- Benjamin Moore Simply White
While fitting for any room, Seapearl truly shines when used in:
- Living Rooms
- Dining Rooms
Comparing Dove Wing vs Seapearl
Now that we’ve explored Dove Wing and Seapearl individually, let’s directly compare the two Benjamin Moore grays:
With an LRV of 77.52, Dove Wing reflects more light than the 76.43 LRV of Seapearl. However, both reflect sufficient illumination to avoid feeling dark and gloomy.
The main difference lies in undertones. Dove Wing is a cool gray, while Seapearl is a warm greige.
Dove Wing’s coolness gives it a crisp, bright appearance. Seapearl’s beige undertone feels more welcoming and approachable.
Dove Wing’s cool crispness makes it well-suited to kitchens, baths, and exteriors. Seapearl’s cozy warmth excels in bedrooms, living rooms, and offices.
Both Dove Wing and Seapearl are available in any sheen from matte to pearl. They provide beautiful soft gray finishes.
Dove Wing vs Seapearl Comparison Chart
Here is a summary of the key differences between Dove Wing and Seapearl:
|Dove Wing OC-18
|Trim, kitchens, baths
|Bedrooms, living rooms
Rooms Painted in Dove Wing and Seapearl
To better envision how Dove Wing and Seapearl compare, let’s look at real rooms painted in the two Benjamin Moore grays:
Dove Wing OC-18
Looking at real-world examples shows how Dove Wing takes on a brighter, sharper appearance than the more relaxed Seapearl. But lighting can make the two grays appear somewhat similar at times.
Should You Choose Dove Wing or Seapearl?
So which Benjamin Moore gray is better for your space – cool crisp Dove Wing or warm welcoming Seapearl? Here are a few tips for deciding:
Consider Dove Wing OC-18 if you want:
- A light gray with subtle cool undertones
- Excellent versatility as exterior color and trim
- Crisp, bright look for kitchens and baths
- A soothing yet sharp gray
Consider Seapearl OC-19 if you want:
- A light greige with warm beige-gray tones
- A cozy and welcoming backdrop
- Relaxed feel for bedrooms and living rooms
- Enveloping warm neutrality
If still uncertain between the two, get samples and paint large swatches. View at all times of day before deciding. Also pair with your existing color scheme.
Either Benjamin Moore light gray you choose will provide beauty and versatility. But the minor differences means one will likely suit your goals better.
Ideal Room Applications
Here are some rooms that typically suit Dove Wing OC-18 and Seapearl OC-19 best:
Dove Wing OC-18
- Exterior siding
- Dorm rooms
- Master bedrooms
- Living rooms
- Dining rooms
With their soft pale grays, Dove Wing and Seapearl can work in any room. But the above applications tend to maximize the strengths of each.
Design Ideas and Color Pairings
On their own, Dove Wing and Seapearl create peaceful backdrops for any home. Complement them with other paint colors and decor for gorgeous rooms:
Dove Wing Color Pairings
- Benjamin Moore White Dove (trim/ceilings)
- Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal (dark accent wall)
- Benjamin Moore Gray Owl (furniture)
- Brushed nickel fixtures
Seapearl Color Pairings
- Benjamin Moore Oxford White (trim/molding)
- Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray (accent wall)
- Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter (furniture)
- Warm wood tones
Dove Wing vs Seapearl – Which Gray is Right for You?
When choosing between Dove Wing and Seapearl grays, consider your goals:
Pick Dove Wing OC-18 if you want:
- A cool crisp gray with subtle brightness
- Excellent versatility as exterior color and trim
- Clean, sharp look for bathrooms and kitchens
- A light gray that feels uplifting
Choose Seapearl OC-19 if you want:
- A light warm greige with beige-gray tones
- Inviting cozy warmth
- Relaxed backdrop for bedrooms and living areas
- A welcoming embrace of neutrality
While the two grays have minor differences, one will likely suit your space better. Get color swatches before deciding. Either Dove Wing or Seapearl will provide beautiful, adaptable light gray appeal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still deciding between Dove Wing vs Seapearl? Here are answers to common questions:
Does Dove Wing have blue or green undertones?
No, Dove Wing does not have strong blue or green tones. It is simply a cool gray without warm undertones. The subtle coolness gives it a bright crispness.
What colors go well with Seapearl walls?
Seapearl pairs nicely with warm neutrals like tans, camels, and cream whites. Deep colors like navy blue and charcoal also complement it beautifully.
Which Benjamin Moore gray is brighter?
With an LRV of 77.52 vs 76.43 for Seapearl, Dove Wing reflects a bit more light, giving it a brighter appearance. However, both grays reflect sufficient light for most rooms.
Can you use Seapearl in a kitchen?
Definitely! While it may not be quite as bright and modern as Dove Wing in a kitchen, the warm cozy Seapearl gray can provide a relaxed cooking space.
Is Dove Wing suited for exterior painting?
Yes! With its subtly cool undertones, Dove Wing works wonderfully as an exterior house color. It provides just enough brightness without feeling stark white.
When comparing Benjamin Moore’s Dove Wing vs Seapearl paint colors, the main differences come down to undertones and aesthetics.
- Dove Wing is a cool light gray that takes on a clean, crisp appearance. It excels as exterior color and suits kitchens and baths.
- Seapearl is a warm greige that feels welcoming and cozy. Its neutrality shines in bedrooms, living rooms, and offices.
While the two grays are more similar than different, the minor contrasts in undertone and formality help one suit certain spaces better. Consider your goals and room uses when deciding between Dove Wing and Seapearl. With some color samples, you’ll discover your ideal light gray with ease.