When selecting a rich green paint color, two popular options from Benjamin Moore are Kelly Green 2037-30 and Hunter Green 2041-10. At first glance, these two greens may appear very similar. But looking closer, there are noticeable differences between them that impact the overall look and feel of a space.
In this in-depth comparison article, we’ll examine Kelly Green vs Hunter Green undertones, LRV, real-world photos, and best room applications. By the end, you’ll understand how these greens differ and which paint color is the better choice for your home.
Key Differences Between Kelly Green and Hunter Green
Before diving into the details, here is a brief overview of how Kelly Green and Hunter Green differ:
- Undertones: Kelly Green is a yellow-green. Hunter Green has blue undertones.
- LRV: Kelly Green has a higher LRV of 26.63. Hunter Green is darker at 6.39 LRV.
- Use: Kelly Green enlivens and energizes. Hunter Green grounds and stabilizes.
- Rooms: Kelly Green shines in kids rooms, offices. Hunter Green excels in living rooms, libraries.
Now let’s explore Kelly Green vs Hunter Green more closely!
Benjamin Moore Kelly Green 2037-30
Kelly Green 2037-30 is a vibrant, yellow-based green paint color. It has a happy, upbeat vibe.
Here are some details about Kelly Green:
- LRV: 26.63
- Undertones: Yellow-green.
- Sheen: Available in all finishes.
- Rooms: Kids rooms, offices, kitchens, entryways.
- Pairs Well With: Neutrals, yellows, blues.
Kelly Green is a bold medium-light green with obvious yellow undertones. The cheerful yellowness gives it an energizing, lively personality.
With an LRV of 26.63, Kelly Green reflects a decent amount of light and avoids feeling too dark. The yellow-green tone maintains brightness.
This vibrant green complements a variety of color schemes. Pleasing combinations include:
- Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace
- Benjamin Moore Lemon Drop
- Benjamin Moore Hale Navy
- Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray
While suitable anywhere, the spirited Kelly Green excels when used prominently in kids rooms, offices, kitchens, and entryway spaces.
Benjamin Moore Hunter Green 2041-10
Hunter Green 2041-10 is a deep, classic green paint color with blue undertones. It has a grounded, natural vibe.
Here are some key details about Hunter Green:
- LRV: 6.39
- Undertones: Blue-green.
- Sheen: Available in all finishes.
- Rooms: Living rooms, libraries, studies, dining rooms.
- Pairs Well With: Creams, golds, natural wood.
Hunter Green is a rich, dark green with noticeable blue tones rather than yellow. The blue-green feel gives it an earthy, traditional personality.
With an LRV of only 6.39, Hunter Green absorbs much more light than it reflects. The deep color has bold contrast.
This natural blue-green complements various palettes. Pleasing combinations include:
- Benjamin Moore White Dove
- Benjamin Moore Harvest Gold
- Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter
- Medium wood tones
While suitable anywhere, the grounded Hunter Green excels when used prominently in living rooms, studies, libraries, and dining spaces.
Comparing Kelly Green vs Hunter Green
Now that we’ve explored Kelly Green and Hunter Green separately, let’s directly compare the two greens:
With LRVs of 26.63 and 6.39 respectively, Kelly Green reflects much more light than the deeper Hunter Green. Kelly Green reads as brighter.
Here is a big difference. Kelly Green is a cheerful yellow-green while Hunter Green is an earthy blue-green.
Kelly Green feels energetic, Hunter Green feels traditional. The undertones contrast strikingly.
The upbeat Kelly Green excels in kids rooms, offices, etc. While Hunter Green suits more formal living rooms, libraries, and studies.
Both Kelly Green and Hunter Green come in any sheen from matte to glossy. They give versatile green finishes.
Kelly Green vs Hunter Green Comparison Chart
Here is an overview of their major differences:
|Paint Color||Kelly Green 2037-30||Hunter Green 2041-10|
|Use||Energizing, fun||Grounding, natural|
|Sheens||All finishes||All finishes|
Real Rooms Painted in Kelly Green and Hunter Green
To better visualize the difference between Kelly Green and Hunter Green, let’s look at real rooms painted in the two colors:
Kelly Green 2037-30
Hunter Green 2041-10
The images showcase Kelly Green’s yellow-toned vibrancy versus Hunter Green’s earthy traditionalism. The two greens create very distinct moods.
Should You Choose Kelly Green or Hunter Green?
So which rich green paint color is the better option for your space – cheerful Kelly Green or earthy Hunter Green? Here are some tips for deciding:
Choose Kelly Green 2037-30 if you want:
- A medium-light green with lots of yellow warmth
- An energizing, upbeat color for kids rooms
- A lively accent color that sparks joy
- Playful contrast without being overpowering
Pick Hunter Green 2041-10 if you want:
- A deep classic green with blue undertones
- A rich backdrop for formal living rooms and studies
- A natural feel reminiscent of forests and herbs
- Bold traditional contrast with a grounded vibe
If still uncertain between the two greens, get samples and paint large swatches on your walls. View throughout different lighting before deciding.
Either vibrant green you choose will add life to your home. But their very different personalities mean one likely better suits your particular space and style vision.
Ideal Room Applications
Here are some rooms that tend to suit Kelly Green and Hunter Green best:
Kelly Green 2037-30
- Kids rooms
- Recreation rooms
Hunter Green 2041-10
- Living rooms
- Dining rooms
Both greens can work well in any space. But the above applications maximize their unique strengths.
Design Ideas and Color Pairings
On their own, Kelly Green and Hunter Green make bold statements. Paired with other colors and materials, they create stunning spaces:
Kelly Green Color Pairings
- Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace trim
- Benjamin Moore Hale Navy accent wall
- Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray furniture
- Light wood flooring
Hunter Green Color Pairings
- Benjamin Moore White Dove trim
- Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter walls
- Brass light fixtures
- Medium wood furnishings
Kelly Green vs Hunter Green – Which is Best for You?
When choosing between Benjamin Moore’s Kelly Green and Hunter Green paint colors, keep your goals and style in mind:
Pick Kelly Green 2037-30 if you want:
- A lively yellow-based green with lots of energy
- Playful, spirited contrast for kids rooms and offices
- A fun accent color that sparks joy and creativity
- Bright vibrancy reminiscent of spring
Choose Hunter Green 2041-10 if you want:
- A rich classic green with calm blue undertones
- Grounded elegance for formal living rooms and studies
- A natural earthy feel reminiscent of forests
- Bold traditional contrast with sophistication
While both are beautiful greens, their very different personalities mean one is likely better for your particular space and style goals. Get samples before deciding between cheerful Kelly Green and earthy Hunter Green!
Frequently Asked Questions
Still trying to choose between Kelly Green vs Hunter Green? Here are answers to some common questions:
Which green paint color is brighter?
Kelly Green 2037-30 has an LRV of 26.63, while Hunter Green 2041-10 has an LRV of only 6.39. So Kelly Green reflects much more light for a brighter, more vibrant green.
What colors go with Kelly Green?
Kelly Green pairs well with light neutrals like cream, off-white, and beige. Soft blues also complement it nicely. Try colors like Chantilly Lace, Hale Navy, or Edgecomb Gray.
Does Hunter Green work well in bathrooms?
It can, when used thoughtfully! Hunter Green makes a dramatic accent on one wall, paired with lighter creams and wood tones. Just avoid using it everywhere for a dark cave-like feeling.
Which green has more blue undertones?
Hunter Green 2041-10 has noticeable blue undertones, giving it a cool earthy vibe. Kelly Green 2037-30 contains mostly yellow, for a warmer spring-like feeling.
What about kids bedrooms – Kelly Green or Hunter Green?
Kelly Green is likely the better choice for kids rooms. Its cheerful, lively personality pairs perfectly with youthful decor. Hunter Green may feel too dark and bold.
When comparing Benjamin Moore’s Kelly Green and Hunter Green paint colors, the main differences come down to undertones and aesthetics:
- Kelly Green 2037-30 is a lively yellow-based green fitting for playful kids spaces.
- Hunter Green 2041-10 is an earthy, traditional blue-green suited for formal living areas.
While both are rich greens, their personalities and applications differ significantly. Consider your goals when choosing between vibrant Kelly Green and grounded Hunter Green. Samples on walls can help you decide!