Benjamin Moore is one of the most popular paint brands in North America. With hundreds of color options to choose from, selecting the perfect white paint color can be a daunting task. Two of Benjamin Moore’s most popular whites are Cloud White and Simply White. But which one is better?
In this article, we will compare Benjamin Moore Cloud White and Simply White paint colors. We will analyze the undertones, look at real life photos, and help you determine which white is right for your home.
Key Differences Between Cloud White and Simply White
Before we dive into the details, here is a quick overview of the main differences between Cloud White (OC-130) and Simply White (OC-117):
- Undertones – Cloud White has a slightly warmer, greige undertone while Simply White has a cooler, blue undertone.
- Light Reflectance – Cloud White has a light reflectance value (LRV) of 85.05 while Simply White has an LRV of 89.52. This means Cloud White reflects more light.
- Popularity – Simply White is Benjamin Moore’s most popular white paint color. Cloud White is also very popular.
- Use – Cloud White works well for dark spaces that need a lot of light reflection. Simply White is versatile for all rooms.
Now let’s take a deeper look at each of these Benjamin Moore whites.
Benjamin Moore Cloud White OC-130
Benjamin Moore describes Cloud White as a “most perfect neutral”. With a subtle warm undertone, it is an extremely versatile white that works well in any space.
Here are some key facts about Cloud White:
- LRV: 85.05
- Undertones: Warm greige
- Finish: Available in flat, eggshell, pearl, and semi-gloss
- Best Spaces: Walls, trim, cabinets, ceilings
- Popular Combinations: Pairs nicely with grays, blues, greens
Cloud White has just a hint of greige that warms up this crisp white. While some whites can read as stark and clinical, Cloud White feels clean, airy and bright. The slight warmth helps prevent it from feeling sterile.
With an exceptional light reflectance value of 85.05, Cloud White does a fantastic job of bouncing light around and opening up dark spaces. This makes it an ideal choice for low natural light areas like hallways, bedrooms and basements.
While the warm undertone is subtle, it provides enough depth to prevent the dreaded “ice box” effect of some extra white paints. Cloud White creates a smooth, consistent backdrop that doesn’t fight with your furnishings or architecture.
Neutral enough for any design style, Cloud White has universal appeal. It works beautifully in modern and contemporary spaces as well as traditional homes. Some popular ways to use Cloud White include:
- Full interior white out – walls, trim, ceilings
- Basement or areas that need illumination
- Bathrooms, kitchens, hallways
- Accent walls paired with colorful art
- Moldings and trims to contrast walls
- Cabinets and shelving
Benjamin Moore Simply White OC-117
Simply White is Benjamin Moore’s most popular white paint color. This versatile neutral provides a clean, bright backdrop in any space.
Here are some key facts about Simply White:
- LRV: 89.52
- Undertones: Cool, with hints of blue
- Finish: Available in all sheens
- Best Spaces: Walls, trim, cabinets
- Popular Combinations: Gray, greige, blue, green
While not as bright as Cloud White, Simply White has slightly more depth. The cool undertones provide an airy, icy white that feels clean and fresh.
With its 89.52 light reflectance value, Simply White reflects less light than Cloud White but is still suitable for most rooms. It has good illumination properties and won’t make spaces feel dark and gloomy.
The barely perceptible blue undertones give this white a cool, icy feel without being harsh or clinical. Simply White has a touch more personality than many extra whites.
This versatile neutral works beautifully as an airy backdrop for any color scheme. Pair Simply White with grays, taupes, blues and greens. It also pops against darker colors like black and navy. Popular ways to use Simply White include:
- Wall color for whole house consistency
- Trim, doors and moldings
- Kitchen cabinets
- Bathrooms – walls, wainscoting, tiles
- Accent walls with colorful art
Comparing Cloud White Vs Simply White
Now that we’ve looked at Cloud White and Simply White independently, let’s directly compare them:
Cloud White has an exceptional LRV of 85.05 compared to Simply White’s 89.52 LRV. This means Cloud White will reflect more light, combat darkness, and visually open up a space better.
However, an 89.52 LRV is still respectable. Unless you have a very dark room, Simply White will still provide enough illumination and brightness for most areas.
The main difference is undertones. Cloud White has a subtle warm greige undertone. Simply White has cool blue undertones.
These contrasting undertones will give the whites slightly different looks. Simply White may appear brighter and crisper on the walls. Cloud White will provide a touch more warmth.
Both of these Benjamin Moore whites are highly versatile. They will work well in any room of the house and suit a wide range of decor styles.
However, Cloud White may look most natural in traditionally warm rooms like bedrooms and dining rooms. Simply White will shine in lighter, contemporary spaces.
Due to the higher light reflectance, Cloud White has an advantage in dark rooms that need illumination. Place it in low natural light areas like basements, hallways and bathrooms.
Simply White will work excellently in rooms that already get good natural light. Use it to capitalize on light and create an airy feel.
Another distinction is paint finish. Cloud White only comes in flat, eggshell, pearl and semi-gloss. Simply White is available in the full range of paint sheens – flat, matte, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss.
So if you want a shinier finish like high-gloss, Simply White is your best bet.
Cloud White Vs. Simply White Comparison Chart
Here is a quick overview comparing Cloud White and Simply White:
|Paint Color||Cloud White OC-130||Simply White OC-117|
|Undertones||Warm greige||Cool blue|
|Best Rooms||Dark rooms, whole home||Light rooms, baths, kitchens|
|Sheens Available||Flat, eggshell, pearl, semi-gloss||All sheens|
|Versatility||Very versatile||Extremely versatile|
Real Life Photos – Cloud White Vs. Simply White
To get a better idea of how Cloud White and Simply White compare, let’s look at some real life photos of the colors:
As seen in the photos, Simply White reads as slightly crisper and brighter white, with more blue undertones coming through. Cloud White appears a touch warmer and more subtle.
However, the differences are quite minor. Both provide beautiful clean backdrops that will suit contemporary and traditional spaces.
Should I Choose Cloud White or Simply White?
So which Benjamin Moore white is right for your home – Cloud White or Simply White? Here are some tips to guide your decision:
Choose Cloud White if you want:
- Maximum light reflection and brightness
- A white with slight warmth
- To illuminate darker spaces
- A versatile neutral for whole home
Choose Simply White if you want:
- A crisp, clean white with blue undertones
- Brightness without being clinical
- A versatile white for lighter rooms
- Availability in all paint sheens
You really can’t go wrong with either of these Benjamin Moore whites. Both Cloud White and Simply White are timeless, durable choices.
Consider the existing light and your color preferences to choose the one that best fits your space.
Unsure which to pick? Get color swatches of both Cloud White and Simply White. Paint large sample patches on your walls. View them throughout the day in natural light. This will help you determine which white you like best in your home.
Popular Cloud White and Simply White Color Pairings
A gorgeous backdrop in its own right, white paint also provides the perfect neutral base for other accent colors. Here are some popular pairings that work beautifully with Cloud White or Simply White:
With Cloud White:
- Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter (Gray) – This soft gray adds subtle interest and pairs perfectly with Cloud White’s slight warmth.
- Benjamin Moore October Mist (Green) – The warm khaki tones in this sage green look beautiful with Cloud White.
- Benjamin Moore Hampton Blue (Blue) – For a crisp nautical look, pair powdery Hampton Blue with bright Cloud White.
With Simply White:
- Benjamin Moore Silver Satin (Silver) – Crisp and modern, the cool tones of Silver Satin complement Simply White.
- Benjamin Moore Gray Owl (Gray) – This light gray has blue undertones that maintain the coolness of Simply White.
- Benjamin Moore Cerulean Blue (Blue) – Vibrant cerulean accent walls pop against the bright simplicity of Simply White.
No matter which accent colors you choose, Cloud White and Simply White provide the perfect clean backdrop to build a cohesive color palette around.
Cloud White Vs Simply White: Which is Better for Your Home?
So is Cloud White or Simply White the better Benjamin Moore white paint color?
The truth is that it depends. On your personal preference, architecture, interior design, and how the white will be used in your home.
Here are a few final tips for choosing between them:
- Small low light rooms → Cloud White
- Airy open concept homes → Simply White
- Traditional cozy spaces → Cloud White
- Modern bright homes → Simply White
- Inclination towards cool colors → Simply White
- Prefer slight warmth → Cloud White
- Need maximum reflectance → Cloud White
While Simply White may be the brand’s most popular white, don’t count out Cloud White. Its light enhancing properties and subtle warmth make this a top choice for many homeowners.
The best way to decide is to get color swatches and test the whites in your home. See them in your specific lighting at different times of day.
Either Benjamin Moore white you choose will provide a beautiful neutral backdrop for years to come.
So should you go with Cloud White or Simply White? With this guide as your resource, you can determine which is the best white paint color for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Cloud White and Simply White?
The main differences are light reflectance value (LRV) and undertones. Cloud White has an LRV of 85.05 while Simply White has an LRV of 89.52. Cloud White has subtle warm undertones. Simply White has cool blue undertones.
What rooms should I use Cloud White in?
Cloud White works excellently in darker rooms and areas with low natural light. Use it in basements, bathrooms, bedrooms, hallways, and offices.
What rooms should I use Simply White in?
Simply White looks beautiful in lighter, airy spaces with good natural light exposure. Use it in living rooms, open concept kitchens and dining rooms, and bathrooms.
Is Cloud White a warm or cool white?
Cloud White is a warm white that has hints of greige/beige. The greige undertone warms up this bright white and prevents it from looking clinical.
Is Simply White a warm or cool white?
Simply White is a cooler toned white with subtle hints of blue. While still very neutral, the slight blue cast gives this white a cooler, crisper feel.
Can you use Simply White on ceilings?
Yes, Simply White works excellently on ceilings. Its 89.52 LRV provides enough light reflection, and the cool undertones prevent it from feeling too warm.