Navy blue paint colors are beloved for their timeless, worldly and nautical charm. Ranging from classic royal navy to almost-black midnight blues, these deep shades work beautifully in formal and casual spaces alike.
If you’re seeking to use navy blue paint, here are 16 stunning colors to inspire your home’s next makeover!
What Makes Navy Blue Such a Sophisticated Paint Color?
With depths ranging from rich and regal to bold and intense, navy blue is extremely versatile. These qualities make it a sophisticated choice:
- Worldly – Navy evokes adventures on far horizons, from exotic travels to the high seas. Using it adds a well-traveled vibe.
- Commanding – Darker navies convey leadership and authority. They work well in home offices and studies.
- Soothing – Despite its dramatic impact, navy has an inherent serenity reminiscent of gazing at the night sky.
- Formal – Classic navy blues feel dressed up and refined enough for even the most elegant spaces.
- Flexible – Thanks to its darkness, navy complements lights, metallics and patterns without clashing or overwhelming a room.
- Mood Lifting – Navy blues are known to boost serotonin, help relaxation and lift worries away.
Keep reading for 16 of the top navy blue paint colors from leading brands!
16 Stunning Navy Blue Paint Colors
Here are the most regal and relaxing navy blue paint colors from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Behr and more:
1. Sherwin Williams Naval
A universally flattering classic navy that adds bold sophistication wherever its applied.
2. Behr Bordeaux
An elegant muted navy with a red wine lushness. Use in formal dining rooms and studies.
3. Benjamin Moore Hale Navy
A neutral navy with green undertones, perfect for creating a nautical New England aesthetic.
4. Sherwin Williams Midnight Express
A luxurious, exotic Egyptian blue named after the famous train. Makes a worldly statement.
5. Benjamin Moore Black
Despite the name, this is a gorgeously rich navy that envelops rooms in hue as deep and shimmering as a pearl.
6. Sherwin Williams Indigo Batik
A globally-inspired indigo blue named after traditional Indonesian fabric dyeing. Adds exotic flair.
7. Benjamin Moore Black Forest
A blackish green navy evocative of thick pine forests ready to renew the spirit. Make your space feel secluded and peaceful.
8. Benjamin Moore Blue Danube
Inspired by the famous waltz, this calming flowing navy graces rooms with rhythmic relaxation.
9. Sherwin Williams Blue Jay
Vibrantly energizing like its avian namesake, this tropical rainforest navy stimulates creativity.
10. Behr Deep Space
As dark and mysterious as the farthest reaches of the galaxy, this navy creates sci-fi vibes.
11. Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray
A muted green-gray navy that distinguishes nautically-themed rooms with its uniquely maritime flair.
12. Sherwin Williams Sea Serpent
Evoking visions of mythical ocean creatures, this teal-tinged hue adds organic vibrance.
13. Benjamin Moore Black Beauty
Despite the name, this stunning neutral navy flatters any space with quiet drama.
14. Behr Blue Vortex
As intense and powerful as a whirlpool, this midnight navy makes a passionate statement.
15. Benjamin Moore Middlebury Blue
Named for the quaint New England town, this traditional navy pairs perfectly with Ivy League inspired decor.
16. Sherwin Williams Mega Greige
This blue-black greige is ideal for those seeking a navy alternative to ubiquitous gray walls.
Benefits of Navy Blue Paint
Beyond just looking sharp, navy blue paint colors offer many perks:
- Encourages Productivity – Navy blues are known to boost motivation, initiative and success when used thoughtfully in offices.
- Promotes Sleep – The calming nature of navy mimics the night sky to promote sound slumber when used in bedrooms.
- Adds Dimension – Navy creates the impression of depth and layers, preventing spaces from feeling flat or one dimensional.
- Defines Spaces – Thanks to its boldness, navy can neatly define house elements like doorways, ceilings and architectural trimwork.
- Inspires Travel – Painting room in global navy hues makes them feel worldly, cultured and well-traveled even if you never leave home.
- Improves Mood – Studies show surrounding yourself with navy can increase feelings of optimism and relaxation.
Best Rooms for Navy Blue Paint
Here are the spaces perfectly primed for sophisticated, dramatic navy blues:
Deeper navy blues, especially on the ceiling, signal the brain to release melatonin and relax for quality sleep.
Cultured Dining Rooms
Rich French or British navy blues add Old World refinement to formal dining spaces meant for entertaining.
Focused Home Offices
From boosting productivity to conveying authority, navy blues create an ambiance conducive to concentration and success.
Worldly Living Rooms
Global inspired navies turn ordinary living rooms into cultured spaces that feel well-traveled.
Midnight navy envelops home theaters, media rooms and entertainment spaces in cinematic intensity.
Bold Kitchen Accents
Use navy strategically on an accent wall or island to make the kitchen feel vibrant and lively.
In addition to full rooms, navy makes a big visual impact when used thoughtfully on a single accent wall. Now let’s explore creative navy decor ideas.
Decorating With Stunning Navy Blue Paint
When working with shades of navy blue, keep these design tips in mind:
- Contrast with crisp, bright whites to prevent navy from feeling too dark and overwhelming.
- Incorporate reclaimed driftwood, linen textures, and nautical ropes to enhance navy’s coastal vibe.
- Display glass bottles, shells, and pieces of sea glass to mimic watery tones against deep navies.
- Choose brass hardware and lighting for a vintage maritime feel, or sleek chrome for modern flair.
- Layer in warm metallics like copper and gold to create an inviting, Old World atmosphere.
- Brighten up inky navy accent walls with playful pops of contrasting yellow, chartreuse or ruby red.
- Soften bold navy walls and ceilings with neutral creams, beiges and light wood furnishings.
Using Navy Creatively on Accent Walls
Looking to add navy without going overboard? Use it tactfully on a single dramatic accent wall. Some ideas:
- A peaceful navy focal wall behind the bed to promote relaxation and rest.
- A vibrant peacock navy wall behind a desk or credenza to boost motivation and creativity.
- A nautical navy bathroom or laundry room accent wall with white wainscoting and brass fixtures.
- A worldly cobalt blue accent wall in the dining room to give meals an exotic flair.
- A soothing midnight navy wall behind the TV to create the perfect home theater effect.
Sophisticated Navy Blue Color Schemes
While versatile navy complements practically any color, these are some of the most popular pleasing schemes:
White trims, moldings, crown molding, furniture and linens make navy walls pop. A foolproof combination.
The brightness of shiny brass and gold hardware and accents enlivens navy’s dramatic boldness.
Natural Wood Tones
Golden oak, reclaimed woods and bamboo add organic warmth against cool navies.
Shades of Green
From emerald to seafoam, vivid greens provide vibrant contrast to grounding navies.
Pops of Ruby Red
Much like nautical signal flags, bright reds punctuate inky navies with exciting contrast.
Bursts of Yellow
Sunny yellow pillows, flowers and art perfectly balance navy’s intensity.
Choosing the Perfect Navy Blue Paint
With so many shades to select from, here are tips for picking the ideal navy for your space:
- Room Size – Darker navies suit spacious rooms. Lighter shades maximize smaller spaces.
- Natural Light – Dark blues work in bright sunny rooms. Pale blues illuminate dimly-lit rooms.
- Room Use – Stimulating bright navies aid productivity. Relaxing deeper navies unwind.
- Design Style – Green navies are nautical and casual. No-undertone navies are formal.
- Finish – Flat or matte navy minimizes harsh reflections. Satin or semi-gloss provide depth.
- Furnishings – Test navy paint chips next to existing upholstery to ensure coordinating colors.
Trust your instincts too! The right navy will bring out your space’s desired bold, worldly or peaceful atmosphere.
Navy Blue Paint Color Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common navy blue paint color questions:
What colors pair well with navy walls?
Navy looks beautiful with crisp whites, warm wood tones, pops of yellow and red, metallics like brass and gold, and different shades of green from mint to emerald.
How do you choose between a bright or deep navy?
Bright vibrant navies work best in energetic rooms intended to feel lively and motivated. Deeper, muted navies are ideal for bedrooms seeking relaxation.
Should you use navy paint in small dark rooms?
In general, yes – deep navy can make a dramatic impact even in small dark spaces when balanced with light trims and furnishings. Just use it selectively on accent walls or focal points.
What sheen of navy paint works best?
Flat or matte navy reflects the least light. Eggshell provides subtle luminosity. Semi-gloss or gloss offer bolder definition on trims but can feel intense on full walls.
What are undertones to look for in navy?
Green navies have a nautical vibe. Purple navies are regal. Gray navies are sophisticated. Blue-black navies are dramatic. Green-gray navies are soothing and organic.
Final Takeaways on Decorating With Navy
With its commanding presence, touch of adventure and surprisingly cozy appeal, navy blue paint colors make a dramatic impact in any space when used thoughtfully. Refer to this guide when seeking inspiration for creating a bold, motivating, worldly or relaxing retreat with sophisticated navy style. Trust your color instincts and enjoy the creative process of choosing your perfect navy paint color!